Sunday, December 22, 2013

Eyes a Metaphor for My Life?

In my last post I told the story of my eye problems, which started during the period in which my father was dying.

When I left off, I had made an appointment with my optometrist, 3 days after cataract surgery, to see if he could help me regulate my vision.

This guy is awesome. I mean, he's kind of different, but he has always given me great prescriptions. I just knew he could fix me up.

And he did. As soon as I told him cataract surgery, and asked if a contact lens for my right eye was an option, he jumped up and said, "Come with me!" He tested my eyes, popped open a box of soft contacts, put it in my eye, and OH MY GOSH I CAN SEE AGAIN CLEARLY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ALMOST TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not to say there are not still issues. With the contact in, my distance vision is "normal", which is a wonderful feeling. But having to now wear reading glasses sucks, as I have pretty much always taken my glasses off to read, even though I have bifocals. However, as soon as my right eye needs cataract surgery, this won't be an option anyway, so it gives me some time to get used to the idea.

But here are the thoughts I had Friday as I am exulting in my new-found vision:

Maybe I haven't really, totally dealt with my grief over my father and mother and family home. Or maybe we don't ever really get over it. 

Maybe my eye problems gave me something to focus on (no pun intended) other than what was going on in my life. Or maybe they just haven't allowed me to move on, since they started during such an awful time of my life, and the awfulness has just continued in the form of my eye issues.

Maybe now that the last vestiges of that period of time are being dealt with and barriers removed, true healing will begin and life will resolve itself into its new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment